“The New 52” has been taken by fans as a new fresh take on DC Comics continuity. While sometimes, the opinions have been mixed on if that’s a good or bad thing, everyone can agree it has made some interesting changes to many of the comic industries most beloved characters.
For The Joker however, his reintroduction in The New 52 was a very short one. He was still a homicidal killer being hunted by Gotham’s police, but in the pages of Detective Comics, his relaunched DC universe continuity, hit fans hard when after a skirmish with Batman, the Joker was caught, taken back to Arkham Asylum, but one of the new faces of The New 52, The Dollmaker, paid a visit to The Joker, conversed with him, and then in a twist, cuts Joker’s face off.
But back in July, DC Comics broke the news that they were planning on bringing back the Joker in an upcoming story: Death of the Family, which is planned to start with Batman #13 in October.
At first all they showed was the teaser image (shown above), now thanks to DC Comics reveal of Novembers solicits, we have a much clearer look :
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Backup story written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV
Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
Backup story art by JOCK
Cover by GREG CAPULLO
• “DEATH OF THE FAMILY” continues!
• The Joker is back and somehow more sinister than ever! What caused this change? And can even Batman stop a Joker so driven and dangerous?
• And where is Alfred?
• Plus: In the backup feature, The Penguin is running out of options as he’s confronted by The Joker!
Written by GAIL SIMONE
Art and cover by ED BENES
• A “DEATH OF THE FAMILY” tie-in as Barbara tries to save her family from a fate much worse than death!
• Has Batgirl come this far just to fall victim once again to The Joker?